1. Events: Right in the heart of downtown Ithaca, there are plenty of winter events including the Winter Festival (Nov 28 – Dec 14) Ithaca Ice Festival (Dec 10) and 6th Annual Chowder Cook-Off (Dec 12).
2. On-site Recreation: Just steps away from the B&B are our swimming pond, great for skating, and our miles of trails, great for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Our nearby common building has a recreation room with pool and ping pong tables, a playroom for young children, and a library filled with health, community, and sustainability resources.
3. Winter Sports: The surrounding area has hundreds of miles of trails for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and winter hiking, and plenty of choices to rent equipment. Runners can kick-start training with the Winter Chill 5k Running Series. You can downhill ski or snow tube at nearby Greek Peak Mountain.
4. Family Fun: Take the day and enjoy a fun family outing. Visit the super-hands-on Sciencenter, Museum of the Earth, Corning Museum of Glass, Cascades Indoor Waterpark or check out a Cornell hockey game.
5. Craft Beer & Local Wine: Winter is the best time for a wine country visit: fewer crowds means better access to the winermakers themselves, all the while enjoying delicious wine. Beer is booming in the area with over 70 craft breweries in the Finger Lakes Region, and you have your choice of six local breweries all within a 10 minute drive.
Visit fingerlakeswinecountry.com and fingerlakesbeertrail.com
6. Great Food: Besides our locally sourced and home grown breakfasts, you may want, one chilly night, to huddle up and not travel far for dinner. The common buildings for our first two neighborhoods, a minute or two by foot from the B&B, are great places to enjoy an inexpensive meal with mostly local and organic ingredients and a strong experience of our cooperative community. And our well equipped kitchenette makes preparing a home cooked dinner easy, too.
7. Relaxation: Our renewable energy-powered hot tub runs year-round. Relax under the stars on a cold winter night and listen to the music of the coyotes.
8. Warmth: Our radiant heat floors and super insulated walls makes the place feel so cozy and comfortable (check out this article on how Danes stay happy in the winter through Hygge).
9. Liberation: Free your mind from the hustle-and-bustle of daily life with a book or magazine from our extensive Library in every room of the B&B. Each bookshelf features inspirational entries about Ithaca and the Finger Lakes, health and sustainability, nature and spirituality, positive futures, alternative lifestyles, and Good News. Slow up and snuggle up with a book!
10. Special Yumminess: We enjoy pampering our guests with special treats: enjoy the cozy comfort of the B&B while savoring a platter of our homemade chocolate zucchini bread along with one of our excellent teas, coffees and chocolate vegan surprises.